Hours: Varies (on-call)
Location: Varies (floating position)
The On-Call Substitute Site Coordinator will serve as the substitute Distribution or Packing Site Coordinator at sites in his/her region when the regular Distribution or Packing Site Coordinator is unavailable on a short term basis.
- When serving as the substitute site coordinator, he/she is responsible for overseeing volunteer drivers/visitors, and meal distribution to homebound clients, in his/her area of temporary assignment, and for maintaining linkages between them and their regional office.
- At distribution sites, he/she will oversee the receipt of hot and cold meals from the Central Kitchen ensuring that all meal counts are correct when delivered to the site, and that the correct number and types of meals are packed for delivery to clients. At packing sites, he/she will oversee the receipt of bulk meals, assuring that the correct quantities and types of food have been received, and then overseeing repackaging into unitized meals. He/she is also responsible for:
- Monitoring quality control issues for the site, monitoring food temperatures according to schedule, maintaining Weekly Tracking forms, and reporting concerns to the regional office and the Foodservices Department.
- Ensuring that his/her facility, and all delivery equipment, is well maintained and kept clean (Igloos, hot boxes and baskets should be wiped out each day) and contacting his/her regional office promptly to report any problems with equipment.
- He/she oversees delivery of meals to clients in his/her assigned area:
- Ensuring that every client in his area is served, on time, with the appropriate food, at the appropriate temperature, by courteous staff or volunteers; anticipating and resolving minor problems and passing major problems on to the regional office or appropriate department for resolution.
- Ensuring that all client starts, reopens, cancellations or special instructions are appropriately recorded, and that route books/sheets are up to date.
- Making volunteers aware of all information, changes or special instructions.
- Reducing volunteer “no-show” situations by reminding/calling volunteers, by building strong relationships with volunteers, and by helping develop lists of back-up drivers for each route, who can be called on to fill in for others on short notice.
- Serving as driver and/or visitor when no volunteer coverage is available.
- Asking each volunteer driver/visitor if any of their clients failed to answer the door unexpectedly, if any problems/needs were observed, and if any additional services were provided such as picking up mail or taking out trash, and reporting this information promptly to his/her regional office.
- Ensuring that information, gifts, etc. sent to site by the Regional or Central Office are distributed in a timely manner.
- He/she supervises the volunteers assigned to site:
- Arranging orientation meetings with new volunteer, ensuring that registration is properly completed, reviewing the MOWCM handbook, and ensuring that new volunteers are adequately trained – either by an experienced volunteer or him/herself.
- Assisting with ongoing training of volunteers, by conveying important information, reminding volunteers of standards and training opportunities, and encouraging volunteers to maintain stated standards and policies.
- Informing the regional office if he/she suspects any volunteer is unable to safely perform his/her duties, or has in any way breached the MOWCM code of ethics.
- Maintaining accurate, up-to-date volunteer schedules, contacting volunteer schedulers to get information, and scheduling routes that do not have volunteer schedulers.
- Ensuring that all volunteer time and mileage is recorded, and sending time cards/sheets to the regional office on the last working day of each month.
- Encouraging volunteers to spread the word about volunteer opportunities at MOWCM, and discussing projected volunteer needs with the regional office.
- He/she oversees paid driver(s) when applicable
- Assists volunteers with loading and unloading meal carriers as needed
- Answers phones forwarded from his/her regional office in emergencies and during office closures
- Maintains duplicate, up-to-date files on all clients and volunteers for use in agency closures due to inclement weather or other reasons
- Notifies the Regional Office of volunteer changes of address, illness, retirement, death, etc. in a timely manner, and relays volunteer concerns
- Assists with volunteer recognition projects in his/her region
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Computer literacy
- Foodservice experience desirable
- Current driver’s license, dependable licensed and insured vehicle
- Ability to pass criminal background check
- Willingness to serve at any site within the regional service area
- Willingness to work on an as-needed basis
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well with older individuals, disabled individuals, and individuals of all ages and cultures
- Highly organized. Ability to set priorities, multi-task, meet deadlines, and perform well under pressure
- Computer literate. Proficiency with Word, Excel, Outlook, and databases
- Ability and willingness to drive, with licensed insured vehicle
- Knowledge of food handling, sanitation, and safety preferred
- Ability to lift 40 pounds and stand for extended periods of time
Please forward your cover letter and resume in PDF or Word format. Cover letter should include the title for which you are applying.
Meals on Wheels of Central Maryland is an equal opportunity employer.
At Meals on Wheels of Central Maryland, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Meals on Wheels of Central MD believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.